This open file report for Teller County includes a general summary of the geology and mineral and mineral fuel potential of along with maps of tract locations, oil and gas tests, and industrial mineral prospects. The main body of the report is an evaluation of each individual tract which includes text as well as a topographic and geologic maps. Digital ZIP download. OF-00-08D
Four general categories of resources are included in this inventory:
- oil and gas
- metallic minerals
- industrial minerals and construction materials
Each individual tract evaluation includes:
- A bar graph which ranks each tract’s resource potential for each of the four mineral categories. An explanation of the categories may be found at the end of this introduction
- Tract identifier number, county name, and county location map
- Tract location on a 7-1/2-minute United States Geologic Survey topographic map
- Tract location on a United States Geologic Survey surface outcrop map
- Location as to section, township, and range and approximate acreage
- Overview of tract geology
- Specific assessment of the resource potential for the four resource categories
- References used in assessing tract potential
Teller County is located in the broad southern arc of the Front Range Highlands. A large part of the county consists of X and Y age Proterozoic igneous and metamorphic rocks that make up the core of the Front Range. The southern part of the county is partially covered by Early Tertiary volcanic rocks of the Thirtynine Mile Volcanic field and the Wall Mountain Tuff. The Florissant Lake beds are exposed in the in the western part of the County south of Florissant.
Teller County has no oil and gas or coal reserves. The Cripple Creek district of Teller County is one of the most important gold producing districts in the U.S. Since its discovery in 1893 and as of 1999, the district has produced 24 million ounces of gold. As of 1999, there are no known construction material or industrial mineral deposits on any of the State Land Board tracts in Teller County.